Birding in Indus River, D.I.Khan (7-10-2017)

After short stay at Namal Lake we started our journey towards D.I.Khan. On my way towards D.I.Khan we crossed chashma barrage and I was very eager to do birding there but they did not allow us to do Photography, But at chashma  barrage I was very happy to see a large number of migratory birds and hoped to find some new birds at my destination.
Chashma Barrage - D.I.Khan
On my way towards D.I.Khan I also saw the Kafer kot (7th century CE) heritage site. Kafir Kot consists of the ruins of 5 temples, and the ruins of a large fort protecting the site. According to the district Gazetteer of Mianwali of 1915 the remains of Kafirkot (and the nearby ruin of Mari) "are indication of the existence of a Hindu civilization of considerable importance and antiquity".
Kafer Kot - D.I.Khan
 Around 6 p.m we reached there. After meeting with our friends we started our journey again and crossed D.I.Khan. After some off-road drive we reached Indus River. From there we started sailing on boat and after an hour of boat journey in Indus River we reached our base camp. It was a full moon night and everything looked beautiful.
Base Camp - Indus River
Our hosts prepared dinner for us and it was Murghabi (Duck). My friend's guns and my camera were ready to hunt these beauties. As I was very tired after a long drive so I tried to get some sleep. But I was very excited so did not sleep well and woke up early around 3 a.m. Hunters woke early and some of them went to hunting place on boat. For photography it was not perfect light to shoot so I decided to join them later. During this time I enjoyed the cool breeze and excellent weather on Indus River. It was a life time experience that I was on an island in Indus river full moon night. I started searching the place and found some birding spots and also marked the sunrise place.
Before sunrise maigratory birds started to arrive. I was very excited to stand on migration root spot. When I got a little bit light I grabbed my camera with high ISO and started capturing the birds and I was very deligted when I started my day with spoonbill, never expected that lifer for me.
Eurasian Spoonbill - Indus River (D.I.Khan) Lifer for Me
Feruginous Pochard - Indus River (D.I.Khan)  New Entry
After sunrise I searched around and saw a lot of birds. As I never did birding in wetland so every bird was new for me but still I found some old friends like Wagtail, Kite, Crow, Pied Kingfisher, Swallow, Stilt, Lapwing, Egret, crested lark etc.
Black kite - Indus River
Pied bush chat - Indus River

Crested Lark - Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Yellow Wagtail --- Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Citrine Wagtail --- Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Barn Swallow - Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Pied Kingfisher - Indus River (D,I,Khan)
Black-Winged Stilt - Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Red-Wattled Lapwing - Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Egret - Indus River (D.I.Khan)



During this birding I captured a lot of new birds and many of them were lifer for me. When I was heading towards D.I.Khan I had done some home work but still had no high hopes. I thought that in this trip I might find some new species of ducks only. But I was very delighted to see some new species of sandpipers and plover for me.
Little Ringed Plover - Indus River (D.I.Khan) Lifer for Me

Kentish Plover  - Indus River (D.I.Khan) New Entry

Wood Sandpiper - Indus River (D.I.Khan)

Common sandpiper - Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Wood Sandpiper (Left) Greenshank (Right) - Indus River (D.I.Khan)

Marsh Sandpiper  - Indus River (D.I.Khan)  New Entry
After few hours of birding I headed towards hunting spot. After half hour of boating we reached there. They prepared a hide for my birding and I captured new birds and duck like
Northern Pintail - Indus River (D.I.Khan) New Entry
Common Pochards - Indus River (D.I.Khan) Lifer for Me
Northern Shoveler & Northern Pintail - Indus River (D.I.Khan)
Some other new birds I captured during this birding are
River Tern - Indus River (D.I.Khan) Lifer for Me

Dunlin  - Indus River (D.I.Khan) New Entry
Osprey - Indus River (D.I.Khan) -- Lifer for Me
Sand lark --- Indus River (D.I.Khan) Lifer for Me
Greater Short Toed Lark  - Indus River (D.I.Khan) New Entry
Pratincole - Indus River (D.I.Khan) New Entry
Greater Coucal - Chasma Barrage (D.I.Khan)
Temminck's Stint - Indus River (D.I.Khan) New Entry 
Great cormorant - Indus River (D.I.Khan)
After a half day birding I realized that I had explored the place enough. I loved the place and felt that in next few months there would be a lot of birds there so I left the place and  was determined to come again in season.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hawks, kites and eagles (41-12)